So, I have been an off-and-on follower of the POTSC movement. This stands for People of the Second Chance. This is a great movement that some of my friends are involved in, like my friend Mohan Karulkar; and they are advocating the demonstration of the love of Christ through responses of radical grace toward others that would otherwise be treated like villains. A quick example of some that are mentioned: Mike Tyson, a catholic priest, Casey Anthony, a member of the KKK, Osama Bin Laden, etc. (You can learn more about this movement by clicking here.)
This leads me into he reason for this blog. CONFESSION: I’m struggling with this. This is weird for me. I feel as though I am one that is normally willing to demonstrate grace in a way that many may have difficulty doing. But a situation has happened recently that has my head spinning, and my heart hurting; and I am finding it difficult to respond with grace.
Just the basics for the sake of understanding. (I will purposefully try to be vague because some may read this that are aware of the situation, and I don’t want to cause any harm.)
- 17-year old girl gets pregnant by a 15-year old boy
- After much talk, they decide they want to keep the child
- The girl’s father wants her to have an abortion
- He proceeds with threats, and the daughter tries to get away from him
- Father takes away phone, car, etc., and kicks her out of the house
- She still wants to keep the child
- Father gives his daughter a choice: have the abortion, or he will file statutory rape charges on her, and she will spend 10 years in prison following the delivery of the child.
- Out of fear, pressure, and confusion, she has the abortion.
So… I think that you can see my struggle. I do not want to show grace to the father. This is really challenge for me. Man, my heart has been troubled by this all day. Until now, POTSC was a cool idea that I felt I could completely understand. But now, I’m experiencing the real battle in the demonstration of the grace of God to one that has deliberately and openly rejected him, and has done the same to his own daughter and her unborn child. Wow.
Please pray for the girl, her father, and the boy (father of the now-aborted child). Also, please pray for me that I will allow the Holy Spirit to change my heart and that salvation be the result of this event.